This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

The Mortal Instrument series review

July 10, 2015

With all the hype surrounding the new Shadowhunters series, I decided to review The Mortal Instrument series.

If you haven't heard about this series (there's just six books and a movie... nothing major;) ) let me draw, or rather write, you a picture:

-MC named Clary finds out she has powers
-A witty, dark and mysterious boy, Jace, take her to the ''Institute'' to be trained.
-Clary is attracted to Jace (what a surprise!)
-She learns that her father is the bad guy of the story.

Here is the base of book one and two. Then we get into this HUGE mess about who's related to who and who belongs with who.

-''Oh no Jace, we can't be together, you're my brother! Wait! Never mind, it's your brother that's my brother!''
-''I love you no matter what Clary, but I can't be with you, I'm sorry!''
-''But Jace...!''

Yup, this impossible romance goes on for book three and four.

First of all:
Jace: don't decide for Clary if she should or not be with you! She's sixteen, she can make her own decision!
And Clary: for the love of the gods, please stop whining, put your big girl panties on and do something!

ARGHH! That's how I was feeling while reading; sometimes I really wanted to throw the book across the room.
Fortunately, everyone got their shit together (pardon the language) in book five, or at least, their focus on the right thing: saving the world.  The last book of the series was really good and I'm glad I stuck with it, even through the... the difficult times let's say.
I have to specify that I did read the first four books back to back (thank the gods for box sets!) so I might of had a overdose concerning this series, which would explain my rage toward the third and fourth book.

In the end, all I have to say is give it a try. If you like epic romance mixed with your fantasy novel, than this is totally for you! If in the contrary, you do not like tortured romance, you might pull a few hair out, but it will worth it in the end. Or maybe you'll just give up. But I suggest you hang on in their because the ending is good one. You know when you close a book and you just need a minute to accept the fact that you'll never see those characters again? Yeah, it's one of those.

Sophie