This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

When I First Saw You #12

February 25, 2016



Hi guys!

I took a little break form blogging this week to focus on other things, but nothing could keep me from writing my weekly WIFSY post!

When I First Saw You, or Wifsy for short, is a weekly meme that I created and now co-host with the lovely Izel, from A Bookish Flower. It's basically judging a book by its cover. Every week, we pick an upcoming book and write a made-up synopsis based on the cover and the title only. 

If you would like to learn more about WIFSY and how you can participate, please take a look here!

And now, this week's cover!

DISCLAIMER: I did not write this book, I am only sharing my first impression of it in the form of a made-up synopsis.

Title: The Adventurist
Author: J. Bradford Hipps
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release date: April 26th 2016

My made-up synopsis

For a lot of people, sexual orientation isn't that big of a deal, but it's different for 18 years old Madelyn.

Madelyn never had a boyfriend because no one in her school ever really made the cut. Now that she's going off to university, Madelyn is determined to be more open. The problem is, she doesn't know where to look as she doesn't know if she prefers girls or boys.

Madelyn never thought of herself as a lesbian, or even bisexual; but having no experience when it comes to love and relationships, she finds herself able to imagine a future with anyone, boy or girl. Confused at first, Madelyn will let herself embark on a journey of self-discovery to try and figure out who and what she is.

The person who said that university was a time to explore was right; it's going to be one hell of an adventure for Madelyn!

The real deal

In the anonymous office park of a modern software company, whip-smart software engineer Henry Hurt is a man in the middle: of life, of career, of self-assessment. Mired in his corporate responsibilities, Henry's deathless office existence is torpedoed by losing his mother.

Overcome by "the pall," Henry seeks escape in a quest for love and purpose occasioned by a crisis in his company's fortunes. Dodging an Iago-like rival, he finds love with a colleague in his department, endangers his bond with his family, and finally confronts the single urgent question of his life.

The Adventurist is about relationships: Henry has complicated ones with his sister, Gretchen, who has stayed at home with their father; his lover Jane, a sleek and efficient mirror image of Henry; and a tantalizing potential girlfriend, Karen, the ultimate free spirit. But his relationship to his corporate and familial responsibilities may change his fortunes even more than the women in his life.


The verdict

Well, I wasn't aware that this was adult fiction book, so there's that. Take that detail away though and I'm kind of close! The title could've meant anything, but with the cover, I knew it had to be about self-discovery and self-understanding. The minimalist cover, the apartment that I mistook for a university residence, the two person in the window... I just had a vision of an adventure involving love, but not revolving completely around it.
The book sounds interesting, but I don't think I would enjoy it to its full potential as I'm not yet to that point in my life; after all, I'm only seventeen!
Not gonna lie, I would enjoy reading a book about my synopsis! The whole sexual orientation thing... it's complicated. People who can place themselves on either end of the sexual orientation' spectrum are lucky because a lot of people find themselves somewhere in between. Besides, while the diversity in YA is coming along great, I have yet to read a book about a MC being bisexual; I think that could be very nice!

***

The WIFSY giveaway for the month of February ended today and Izel and I will announce the winner next week so stay tuned for that!
I hope you enjoyed this twelfth round of WIFSY and if you haven't participated yet, I hope to read one of your made-up synopsis in the future!

Next week's cover













Have a nice weekend guys!
Sophie