This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

Diversity needs to be more diverse

August 26, 2016



If you're into books, chances are you've heard people talk about the WE NEED DIVERSE BOOKS movement, or at least how there should be more diversity in books, especially YA.

In the last year, we've been seeing more and more diversity, which is great! But it's always the same type of diversity, and I want to address that today.


When it comes to sexual orientation for example, diversity is often represented by a boy who's homosexual; it's very rare to see a female MC who's gay, and even rarer to see bisexual characters of any gender period. And has anyone ever seen a transgender character in YA? Because I sure as hell haven't.

When it comes to diversity regarding mental illness, the same illnesses are always portrayed: depression and OCD. How many times have you seen a character suffering from post-traumatic disorder? Or Schizophrenia? Or multiple personality disorder? Not enough times, that's for sure!

Where I'm getting at here is that, while diversity is more and more present everyday in YA literature, it's always the same type of diversity. We need more diverse diversity.

This being said, I want you to share with me books with different diversity. Let's get the word out, shall we?

On this note, I will end this a bit abruptly. I'm currently in the process of moving to uni (meaning I'm at a hotel, waiting for my family to get here with the rest of my stuff) and frankly, while I'm determined to finish my challenge, I'm writing my posts at the last minute lately. #sorrynotsorry

Take care guys!

Sophie