This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

The Awesome, what a perfect title!

August 10, 2016


Title : The Awesome
Author : Eva Darrows
Publisher : Ravenstone Press
Release date : May 26th 2015
Add it on GOODREADS

This book was awesome, pun intended!

The premise of The Awesome grabbed my attention and wouldn't let go: a girl trying to have sex so she can be a licensed monster hunter? How much better can it get?
The humor in this book was the best part. I have to warn you though, if you can't handle dark humor, crude jokes and a lot of sarcasm, The Awesome won't be your cup of tea. But what can I say? I love all of those so I found myself laughing everytime I flipped a page!

What I found interesting were the characters. Maggie is not your typical MC. She doesn't fit any of the predetermined box YA characters usually occupy. She wasn't super smart, not geeky either, she wasn't the popular girl or the pretty one, she didn't have a mental illness that was the focus of the book and she wasn't overweight. To be frank, she was simply a mix of a lot of things, which made her average, thus making her a very relatable character. It was refreshing for me because she was a bit like that secondary character you love and want to get to know more but never get a chance to because the author didn't write a book about them. You feel me?

And her mom! She was the eccentric parent you sometimes see in YA literature, yet, she was original and unique too. I don't know about you, but The Awesome is the only book I've read where the mother of the MC encourages her to have The Sex and kills vampires for a living. She made the book that much more entertaining!

But, this book didn't get five star for a reason, I thought the ending was a bit rushed. I was already surprised that The Awesome had a plot more complex that the synopsis let out, which was great, don't get me wrong! But I felt like a major element in the book wasn't resolve properly at the end. It wasn't super important to the story per se, but as a reader, I would've enjoy getting a few more answers.

In the end, The Awesome remains an underrated book that deserve all the love it can get. Go read it and come back so we can talk about it, deal? Deal.

Sophie



Sarcastic, witty, dark on the edges, THE AWESOME will become one of your guilty pleasures!