This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

The possibility of becoming one of your favorite books

August 6, 2016


Title : The Possibilty of Now
Author : Kim Culbertson
Publisher : Scholastic
Release date : January 26th 2016


See what I did there with the title of my post? Yeah, I thought I was being clever too! But seriously cupcakes, The Possibility of Now was GOOD.
For starters, the plot was well constructed and kept me guessing till the end, which made for a very impressed Sophie because I'm not used to that coming from contemporaries.
The premise of this book was cute, but also a bit typical: the MC takes a break from her everyday life to sort some things out; I would know, I wrote a story with the same outline! But the way it was executed turned it into something unique and captivating.

The journey that Mara was on was familiar to me. How many times have I dreamed of throwing all my school stuff in the air and escaping to a place where no one knows me for a while? I think everyone feels that way sometimes, maybe not to the same extent as Mara, but still. To follow her as she tried to get back on track, as she tried to get her grip back on her life was really interesting, and not at all what I expected.

Speaking-of-not-really, her lists scored major brownie points with me: they added originality to the story and that little something that makes a book stand out.

I loved how the theme of family was incorporated in the story without being the main focus. Actually, I loved how the book didn't exactly have one major theme. Mara's journey to self-discovery, her relationship with her family, the romance between the characters... They were all equally present and well developed, which made for a nice, balanced read.

"Sophie, if you liked the book so much, how comes you only gave it four stars out of five?"
Ah, that is the great question, isn't it? If The Posibility of Now had all those great elements, how come it doesn't get a perfect score? Simply because I didn't find myself completely drawn into the story. Some books have the ability to grab us readers and keep a part of us with them, even after we've read the last page. This one? It didn't grab me like that. I didn't feel that connection that gives some books a place on my FAV shelf. I'm not sure why, it's just the way it is.

Sophie


Cute, powerful, unique, this is the book you'll want to read this summer with the sun on your face, the wind in your hair and no one to interrupt.