This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer review

July 9, 2015
I've been wanting to read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer for a while now, thanks to Little Book Owl's youtube channel, and I finally got around to it!
Before I say anything else, can I just mention the cover? I'm not one to judge a book by its cover, but this one certainly did grab my attention. It is gorgeous! Ok, now moving on.

It's hard to resume this book; there's just a lot going on and I don't want to give any spoilers away by accident so I'll just copy paste the synopsis.

Mara Dyer believes life can't get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can. 

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her strangely unharmed. There is.


She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love. She's wrong.




Oh it can! And it does! Get stranger I mean. Or should I say creapy? Cauz let me tell you that this book has its share of creepy! If I was ever to be in of Mara's ''moment'' I would be seriously freaked out. And I might pee my pants a little. 
Mara is strange, but it's not her fault. She switches school after the beginning of the year to a private institution. It's already hard to adapt to a new environment (trust me, I've been there) but Mara has to deal with the accident, the loss of her best friend and her post-traumatic symptoms. It's no wonder she catches the eye of Noah, the heart breaker at school, when she's the only interesting one! Okay, I'll admit it was the typical cliché of the new girl and the popular guy who fall in love, but it was cute instead of being annoying so that's good enough for me.

Moving on, there is! More to the accident I mean. (come on people, keep up!) To her whole life actually. See, Mara sees things due to her PTSD, but those hallucinations? They might just have the answer to what truly happened, and it's not entirely ''normal''. Mara is special in a lot of ways and the book takes a different turn, a paranormal turn if I may, and we finally get some clues as to what the fudge is going on!

Obviously, she was going to be wrong! I mean come on people! This is still a YA book with a female MC. If there had been no romance, it would not have been the same. And honestly, who would not appreciate the hot guy of the school being after you? He brings her flowers! FLOWERS! Why can't any boy I know do that for a change? That's why we(I), teenage girls(Sophie), need romance in our(my) books:  so we(I) can have an imaginary love life through the characters while waiting for a real one.

It was interesting. And different. And sometimes creepy. And I want to know what happens next. And you should too. Well, after reading this book of course. Because you will. Right?


Sophie