This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

The raven Boys, AKA the book that didn't live up to the hype

August 3, 2016


- REVIEW - The raven Boys, AKA the book that didn't live up to the hype



Title: The Raven Boys
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic
Release date: September 18th 2012
ADD IT ON GOODREADS

The Raven Boys has been on my to-read list for a long time and now that I read it, I don't understand the excitement that surrounds it.
The one thing that comes to my mind when I think about The Raven Cycle trilogy is this: over-hyped. Okay, fine, it might not be fair to judge an entire series by the first book, but at the same time, if I'm not hooked right away, why bother to continue?

The main thing that turned me off while reading this book was how unreal everything and everyone seemed. The beauty of books is that they make you believe in made-up worlds and magic creatures, they make you believe that whatever the author chose to write about is possible; real. Maggie Stiefvater? She didn't succeed in making me believe her story.

Firstly, the characters. I'm sorry but as rich as you may be Gansey, I simply don't buy your act, especially when you have other rich friends behaving nothing like you. And Blue? One question: what about school! And that name.. I want to take you seriously, but I can't.

Second, the story. I felt like the plot wasn't going anywhere. I was lost with the whole ley lines story, and I felt like nothing really happened. Stuff did happen though, I was entertained while reading, but I wasn't dying to get back to the book, you know?

Also, the relationship between Blue and Noah was a bit laughable. To me, it seemed to come out of nowhere. Plus, Blue is clearly meant to end up with Gansey, Noah and Ronan are probably gay, and the story about Blue killng her true love if she kisses him? Come on! Give me more explanation because right now it sounds like a fairy tale!

The Raven Boys was entertaining, don't get me wrong. It was far from being bad, but after all the good things I heard about it, I felt let down. To be frank, the book felt more like a first draft of something that could be great.

But hey, I'm clearly in the minority here, maybe I just completely missed the point.

Take care cupcakes!

Sophie






The Raven Boys is far from being a bad book, it's simply another case of "over-hype"...